[License-discuss] [Non-DoD Source] Re: U.S. Army Research Laboratory Open Source License (ARL OSL) Version 0.4.1

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Mon Feb 27 17:50:27 UTC 2017

Cem Karan wrote:

> I'm not a lawyer, I'm not your lawyer, I don't pretend to be one on TV or anywhere else, and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.

In that situation, it would be unfair to ask you my question directly, so please forward my email directly to your lawyer(s). I'd like to hear from them directly or on this list.

Cem Karan wrote:

. . . the truly serious issue is severability  <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severability> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Severability).  The concern is that if the USG uses a license that depends on copyright (e.g., Apache 2.0), and those clauses are declared unenforceable by the courts, then it may be possible to declare the entire license unenforceable.

Larry Rosen asked:

Apache-licensed software also may (and frequently does) contain public domain components. Are you suggesting that "severability" is a potential problem with Apache software?

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen

Rosenlaw (www.rosenlaw.com)

3001 King Ranch Rd., Ukiah, CA 95482