[License-discuss] [Non-DoD Source] Re: U.S. Army Research Laboratory Open Source License (ARL OSL) Version 0.4.1

Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) cem.f.karan.civ at mail.mil
Mon Feb 27 17:38:58 UTC 2017

There may be a difference between projects that had copyright initially and
later on added in public domain components, and projects that never had
copyright to begin with.  That said, I don't know if there is or isn't[1].  I
don't want to find out that there **is** a difference, and have it bite
everyone.  The lawyers I've worked with seem to think that there is a
difference, and that we should account for it.  If you have case law or
Federal laws that show that we don't have to worry about it, please show me,
so I can pass it to our lawyers for review.  If they are convinced that we
don't have to worry about it, I can drop the ARL OSL (which, to be honest,
would make my life easier; it ain't fun getting yelled at by everyone on this
list).  However, at this moment I have yet to find a Government lawyer that is
100% comfortable with using a copyright-based license on projects that were
originated by the USG and which don't have any copyright attached.  That's why
we're currently suggesting CC0 for the ARL (see
https://github.com/USArmyResearchLab/ARL-Open-Source-Guidance-and-Instructions);
right now, we think it has the best chance of standing up in court.  I'd much
rather be proven wrong by US case law, or a Federal law, so we can go back to
the standard OSI approved licenses.  Right now though, I'm stuck with CC0, or
with pushing the ARL OSL and hoping it gets OSI approved.

Thanks,
Cem Karan

[1] I'm not a lawyer, I'm not your lawyer, I don't pretend to be one on TV or
anywhere else, and nothing I say should be construed as legal advice.