[License-discuss] [Non-DoD Source] Re: US Army Research Laboratory Open Source License proposal

Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) cem.f.karan.civ at mail.mil
Mon Jul 25 13:21:58 UTC 2016

I honestly don't know.  The ARL lawyer I'm working with thinks that the USG
may have foreign copyright, but he says that until it has been litigated and
settled in court (and I don't know which country's courts that will be in),
there's no way to know for certain.  We're assuming that the USG will have
copyright in countries other than the USA because it requires us to think of
the most difficult scenario from the point of view of creating a license; and
as my lawyer friend keeps explaining to me, "you don't need an air-tight
contract until you get sued, and then if you don't have one, it's too late".
Basically, we're trying to prevent headaches when we don't even know if it's
even possible for them to come up.  I hope that explains why we're taking the
position we are.

Thanks,
Cem Karan