[License-discuss] [Non-DoD Source] Re: US Army Research Laboratory Open Source License proposal

Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) cem.f.karan.civ at mail.mil
Mon Jul 25 12:13:52 UTC 2016

Yes.

> You should probably add back "copyright holder" so that the license can be
> applied to works made as a whole or in part by contractors.

We're actually dealing with contractors separately, by having them assign
copyright back to the Government, and then using the Apache 2.0 license
directly.  What we're working on is the more difficult case where the code has
been developed entirely by Government employees.  In that case, there is no
copyright to assign initially, and we still need a license to cover the code
in some way.  In addition, other Government workers may choose to contribute
to a project.  If they do it as a part of their official duties, then the work
they contribute has no copyright; the license needs to apply to those
contributions as well.

All that said, contributions from the public and persons or entities that have
copyright need to be covered the same way as the Apache 2.0 license would
cover the contributions.

> The Appendix still says "Apache License".

Whoops!  The headaches of keeping a plain text, LaTeX, and HTML version of the
license around... Now fixed in my copy.

> John Cowan          Caution-http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
> If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing on
> my shoulders.  --Hal Abelson

I like the quote.

Thanks,
Cem Karan