[License-discuss] US Army Research Laboratory Open Source License proposal

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Fri Jul 22 21:29:29 UTC 2016

Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) scripsit:

> Finally, there is opinion within the US Government that while there is no US
> copyright protection, copyright attaches outside of the US.  Thus, if a
> project is downloaded and used outside of the USA, then any work produced by a
> US Government employee will have foreign copyright protection, and the terms
> of the License should apply to that copyright as well.

Presumably it's the US government that holds the foreign copyright, since
its employees are making works made for hire.

You should probably add back "copyright holder" so that the license can be
applied to works made as a whole or in part by contractors.

The Appendix still says "Apache License".

John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        cowan at ccil.org
If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing
on my shoulders.  --Hal Abelson