[License-discuss] [Non-DoD Source] Re: [Non-DoD Source] Re: U.S. Army Research Laboratory Open Source License (ARL OSL) 0.4.0

Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) cem.f.karan.civ at mail.mil
Wed Aug 17 18:17:07 UTC 2016

They have their reasons, but I'll try to get at least one on this list again.

> Further on my point, the US DOJ (i.e., the top government lawyers in the
> USA) website states that most of the material on their website is
> public domain and freely usable by the public, yet still appends a
> disclaimer of liability to that material:  Caution-
> https://www.justice.gov/legalpolicies  That seems to me like a pretty
> concrete example of the USG understanding that a disclaimer of
> liability is not null and void just because the materials for which
> liability is disclaimed is not licensable because it is in the public
> domain.
> The very problem the ARL lawyers are saying this new license proposal is
> attempting to solve.

Once again, liability isn't the only issue; there are also copyright issues
(for contributors), and IP issues.  If we could solve the problem via a simple
disclaimer of liability, we would.  We need to handle ALL the issues.

Thanks,
Cem Karan