[License-discuss] [Non-DoD Source] Re: U.S. Army Research Laboratory Open Source License (ARL OSL) 0.4.0

Smith, McCoy mccoy.smith at intel.com
Wed Aug 17 15:33:37 UTC 2016

I find it odd that your lawyers are making you argue the legal issues here even though you aren't a lawyer, and won't themselves join in to the conversation.

Further on my point, the US DOJ (i.e., the top government lawyers in the USA) website states that most of the material on their website is public domain and freely usable by the public, yet still appends a disclaimer of liability to that material:  https://www.justice.gov/legalpolicies  That seems to me like a pretty concrete example of the USG understanding that a disclaimer of liability is not null and void just because the materials for which liability is disclaimed is not licensable because it is in the public domain.  The very problem the ARL lawyers are saying this new license proposal is attempting to solve.