[License-discuss] [Non-DoD Source] Re: U.S. Army Research Laboratory Open Source License (ARL OSL) 0.4.0

Karan, Cem F CIV USARMY RDECOM ARL (US) cem.f.karan.civ at mail.mil
Mon Aug 15 21:59:20 UTC 2016

Comments inline below.

Fixed, thanks for the catch!

> >    4. Redistribution. You may reproduce and distribute copies of the
> >       Work or Derivative Works thereof in any medium, with or without
> >       modifications, and in Source or Object form, provided that You
> >       meet the following conditions:
>
> I'd suggest to add in clause 4, or in its obligations a)-d), an "if
> copyright exists" or something similar. If copyright doesn't exist in the
> Work,
> can't put enforceable conditions on redistributions.

What wording would you suggest?

> Just wondering: you said that Apache License 2.0 doesn't have a severability
> clause, and it would have helped your wishes. However you
> didn't add one. Why not?

I was trying to keep the license as close to the Apache 2.0 license as I
could.  The more I add, the more likely it is that our license will be
incompatible with the Apache 2.0 license, and it is VERY important to us to be
fully interchangeable with everyone else.  We want our code to be used; it's
why I'm going through the effort of getting the license OSI and Apache
approved.  Anything that jeopardizes that has to be considered very, very
carefully.

Thanks,
Cem Karan