[License-discuss] International Licenses

Jim Jagielski jim at jimjag.com
Mon Jun 8 13:51:08 UTC 2015

> On Jun 5, 2015, at 12:13 PM, Brian Behlendorf <brian at behlendorf.com> wrote:
>
> With regard to jurisdiction: do we have evidence that existing licenses can't be enforced as per the intent of the license stewards in certain juridictions because they use terms differently, or there are assumed defaults in that jurisdiction that simply don't exist?  If so, wouldn't it be more aligned with reducing license proliferation to work with existing license stewards to iterate existing licenses to adjust their language (or add jurisdiction-specific terms) to address these exceptions?

I would agree that this effort should be done, but only provided that
there is evidence that things are currently broken. I don't think
it's quite fair "forcing" people into busy work to fix something that
isn't broken.

I wonder if the proposal is a problem looking for a solution, or a
solution looking for a problem.