[License-discuss] Shortest copyleft licence

jonathon jonathon.blake at gmail.com
Sun Apr 5 01:47:36 UTC 2015

On 01/04/15 17:14, Lawrence espe wrote:
> You really don't have to read all that stuff in order to protect your own work.

But if you want to know what those protections are, you need to
understand what the law says.

>You should also pray that you're not sued for software patent
infringement, and for most software programmers that's probably not much
of an issue recently in many jurisdictions. :-)

And the final limiting clause of a slew of patents granted by the USPTO
I recently read was, paraphrased  "The use of a different sequence of
steps, including the omission of steps listed here, and steps not listed
here, shall be deemed to be an infringement of this patent."

Overarching, and hopefully not legally binding, but as the final,
limiting clause of the patent, it looks like no work-arounds are possible.

(Yes, I do know better than to read patents, but dam it, when somebody
has obtained a patent that is nothing more than a series of steps I
wrote, years before the patent was applied for, I'd like to know what it
says, especially since they didn't give me the courtesy of telling that
they were monetizing my non-invention.)

jonathon