[License-discuss] Shortest copyleft licence

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Wed Apr 1 17:14:26 UTC 2015

Maxthon Chan wrote:
> I still remembered my days reading through 17 USC and Chinese copyright law just to grasp an idea on how copyright works, and before I filed my patents I bought a book on how patent laws work. I have to educate myself in those legal concepts just to protect my own work.

As a lawyer and the author of such a book I'll tell you a secret: You really don't have to read all that stuff in order to protect your own work. Your own work is protected automatically except for things you copy from others or for inventions that others patented first. In almost all other respects, your own work is yours to do with as you please even without registering your copyrights or filing for patents.

Nor is such detailed reading necessary if you merely want others to use your works. As Nigel Tzeng and several others here pointed out, CC-BY-SA or one of the standard FOSS licenses will probably work for you without studying law.

Engineers should become familiar at least with open source concepts if you want to copy the works of others. You should also pray that you're not sued for software patent infringement, and for most software programmers that's probably not much of an issue recently in many jurisdictions. :-)

As a self-employed lawyer, I'm glad that not every programmer has the need to become a lawyer also.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen
"If this were legal advice it would have been accompanied by a bill."
Rosenlaw & Einschlag (www.rosenlaw.com)