[License-discuss] You need to pay to access AGPL3 scripts?

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Tue Jun 10 21:10:55 UTC 2014

On 10/06/14 06:51, ChanMaxthon wrote:
> I believe it is perfectly fine. RMS himself even *encourage* that.

I think people are missing the point here.  Assuming the requestor has
used the service, this is a clear violation of clause 13 of the AGPL,
and, if allowed would make the AGPL effectively indistinguishable from
the GPL, as you could select a fee that was so large that it was
unrealistic to exercise the additional rights you gain from the AGPL.

Where you have the option to make an arbitrary charge is for supply of
the software when you never obtained a copy of the software in any form
from them and never used the service based on that software.

If the site is AGPL compliant, there is no need for someone who is using
the service to request anyone to supply the software, as  there will be
a link providing a free download.