[License-discuss] we need a new license for earning money

Cinly Ooi cooi at theiet.org
Tue Sep 24 13:41:32 UTC 2013

> If it was only my situation, I wouldn't have asked. But I'm also an Open
> Source Evangelist and FSFE member and have detected this common pattern
> with Open Source projects becoming mature, usable, successful. They don't
> fit into the Open Source world any longer and start escaping into dual
> licensing, Open Core, closed source forks or only older versions remain
> free. Not only the projects are lost but there is also a brain drain of
> programmers. Another brain drain pattern: talented young programmers turn
> away after their first half finished Open Source project for a real job.
> Whether this was considered or not, I can imagine a better overall
> situation but it all boils down to breaking the money barrier.

So does the tax authority, especially in US. They dislike the model where
non-for-profit convert to for-profit after a piece of software is mature.
They see it is getting a tax advantage during development to reduce  cost.

The money barrier is real, but if I had been a user of your software it is
only to be expected. If I were really worried I would had gone to a project
that has a robust charter which says it will not go for-profit. That does
not offer full protection, but it is the best I can get.

Bye
cinly