[License-discuss] Beginner question on CCSA and derivative work

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Mon Nov 18 14:57:49 UTC 2013

On 18/11/13 14:24, Nick Yeates wrote:
> I am unsure if this forum is the correct place for this question, so let
> me know if I need to ask elsewhere…
> I am considering using a Work, on the public web, that is clearly
> licensed under the CCSA: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0
> England & Wales license
> <http://creativecommons.org/licenses/by-sa/2.0/uk/>. The work also
> states this: "this page is © 2007-2013 University of Oxford."
> I am considering using a piece of this work, in a commercial document.
> It is not likely that the commercial work will be distributed to the public.
> So far, CCSA seems to be OK with this occurring.
> My question is, if I am incorporating it into a work that is
> considerable larger, do I need to license the entire piece of work as CCSA?
> The parts from U of Oxford will be, say, 3% of the complete content
> (derivative work???). Really, most of the content is new/mine.
> I don't want to have to make my entire work CCSA, because I am including
> a comparatively small chunk of work that is CCSA.

1) this sounds like it is not software, so not really on topic for this 

2) the answer depends on whether or not it constitutes a derivative 
work, and that tends to be a very controversial area on this list (with 
several people using a more limited definition than many authors 
assume).  You probably need to consult a lawyer for an answer that you 
can rely on.  It will probably depend on whether your work is meaningful 
without the U of O document being included.

The safest thing to do is to clear it with the University.

More information about the License-discuss mailing list