[License-discuss] Beginner question on CCSA and derivative work

Nick Yeates nyeates1 at umbc.edu
Mon Nov 18 14:24:01 UTC 2013

I am unsure if this forum is the correct place for this question, so let me know if I need to ask elsewhere…

I am considering using a Work, on the public web, that is clearly licensed under the CCSA: Creative Commons Attribution-ShareAlike 2.0 England & Wales license. The work also states this: "this page is © 2007-2013 University of Oxford."

I am considering using a piece of this work, in a commercial document. It is not likely that the commercial work will be distributed to the public.
So far, CCSA seems to be OK with this occurring.

My question is, if I am incorporating it into a work that is considerable larger, do I need to license the entire piece of work as CCSA?
The parts from U of Oxford will be, say, 3% of the complete content (derivative work???). Really, most of the content is new/mine.
I don't want to have to make my entire work CCSA, because I am including a comparatively small chunk of work that is CCSA.

Insight?

-Nick Yeates