[License-discuss] public domain recognition

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Fri May 3 09:26:34 UTC 2013

johann Sorel wrote:

> I'm searching for the best course of action to develop a project in 'public domain'.
> I've read the FAQ and different threads on PD and CC0 in the archive. Basicaly the OSI do not recommand using PD/CCO. So ... I don't care, since it's the right choice for my objective.

The best way is to work for the US government.  Even then, the work may
still be copyright work outside the USA.  I believe it debatable as to
whether an ordinary person can put something into the public domain,
other than by dying and waiting for 70 years, in the USA, and it is
almost certain that they can't do so in Europe.

There are no international conventions on public domain, so a public
domain declaration in one country may not have any effect in another,
whereas a copyright one would.

You would be much better advised to use a short licence that gave
permission to do almost anything under your copyright rights.

Even in the USA, I think it has been suggested that public domain
dedications don't absolve you of responsibility for consequential
damages, so retaining copyright and attempting to disclaim warranty is
generally considered safer.

--
David Woolley