[License-discuss] Open source license chooser choosealicense.com launched.

Bruno F. Souza bruno at javaman.com.br
Mon Jul 15 20:49:49 UTC 2013

On 15/07/2013, at 15:10, John Cowan <cowan at mercury.ccil.org> wrote:

> Karl Fogel scripsit:
>
>>  http://choosealicense.com/
>>
>> We may want to consider linking to it from OSI's FAQ, but it would be
>> great to get people's opinions first.
>
> While I am obviously just me and not GitHub, and my site is not as
> pretty, I would also ask the OSI to look at <http://ccil.org/~cowan/floss>
> as a license-choosing resource.  Historically OSI has shyed away from
> such things because they involve recommending licenses without being
> lawyers, and also suggest that some licenses are more useful than others.

Although OSI may not want to recommend licenses, having a set of "license
choosers" linked from the FAQ I think is a great idea. Each site will probably
have its own level of disclaimers anyway. Having a few choosers will help
users, and being more then one, it has no chance in being confused with
a specific OSI recommendation. Choosers will probably cary their own bias, and
developers can learn from each view on the respective sites.

I think your license chooser is very straightforward and simple, what is great and
helpful! The one thing I would add to it is some context, since it is a bit "bare", IMHO.

Thanks!
Bruno.