[License-discuss] Changes made by derivative works

David Woolley forums at david-woolley.me.uk
Wed Jan 30 08:00:03 UTC 2013

Prashant Shah wrote:

> Is there any better way to handle changes made by any derivative works
> rather than using the following sentence.
>
> "You must cause any modified files to carry prominent notices stating
> that You changed the files"

That really depends on the objective you are trying to achieve!

I think that clause is actually there to protect moral rights (i.e. the
right not to be falsely attributed as the author), rather than copyright
rights, particularly in countries that don't have any formal concept of
moral rights.

On the other hand, from a copyright point of view, unless it is clear
who the copyright owners are, it can be risky to use any piece of software.

--
David Woolley