[License-discuss] List moderation and CoC enforcement [was Re: proposal for revising (and making relevant) the code of conduct]

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Sun Jan 6 02:47:04 UTC 2013

On Thu, Jan 3, 2013 at 12:34 AM, Kuno Woudt <kuno at frob.nl> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> On 01/03/2013 05:04 AM, Luis Villa wrote:
>>

>> If you have concerns about someone’s conduct, you can speak to them
>> directly, you can speak directly to the list moderators, or you can
>> discuss the conduct on the list.
>

> For those who feel the need to "speak directly to the list moderators" it is
> perhaps useful to make that into a link which when followed informs them who
> the list moderators are and how to contact them.

I've revised the section on enforcement to read as follows; feedback
still very welcome as this is a work in progress:

Interpretation
--------------

This code is not exhaustive or complete. It is not a rulebook; it
serves to distill our common understanding of a collaborative, shared
environment and goals. We expect it to be followed in spirit as much
as in the letter.

Enforcement
-----------

Most members of the OSI license community always comply with this
code, not because of the existence of the code, but because they have
long experience participating in open source communities where the
conduct described above is normal and expected. However, failure to
observe the code may be grounds for reprimand, probation, or removal
from the lists.

If you have concerns about someone’s conduct:
* *Direct contact*: it is always appropriate to email a list member,
mention that you think their behavior was out of line, and (if
necessary) point them to this document.

* *On-list*: discussing conduct on-list, either as part of another
message or as a standalone thread, is always acceptable. Note, though,
that approaching the person directly can be better, as it tends to
make them less defensive, and it respects the time of other list
members, so you probably want to try direct contact first.

* *Moderators*: You can reach the moderators (Luis Villa and Karl
Fogel) through the addresses they use for on-list communication, or
through [link].