[License-discuss] License which requires watermarking? (Attribution Provision)

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Thu Jan 3 04:41:44 UTC 2013

Larry Rosen asked:
> How would the choice of license affect the *legal* determination of
> whether the resulting work is or is not a derivative work for which
> source code must be disclosed?

Ken Arromdee responded:
> The choice of license affects whether source code must be disclosed at
all.
> If the library was under the LGPL, the competitor would not have to
provide source.

That is precisely why this topic is appropriate for this list. Ken's
statement reflects a common misunderstanding of the GPL and LGPL. I'd like
to correct it.

Regardless of whether a library is licensed under the GPL or the LGPL, a
licensee will have to disclose *source code* of the library and *source
code* of derivative works of the library.

This is also true if the work is NOT a library.  The test is merely whether
the resulting work is a *copy* or a *derivative work*.  Calling it a library
makes no difference whatsoever.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen
3001 King Ranch Rd., Ukiah, CA 95482