[License-discuss] OSI and SPDX license list

Luis Villa luis at tieguy.org
Thu Feb 14 19:26:44 UTC 2013

On Thu, Feb 14, 2013 at 10:40 AM, Karl Fogel <kfogel at red-bean.com> wrote:
> Jilayne Lovejoy <jilayne.lovejoy at openlogic.com> writes:
>>Martin - you read my mind, as I was just about to send an update of the
>>outstanding OSI-SPDX License List issues.  I'm copying Karl Fogel, John
>>Cowan, as they are on the original string helping with these issues, as
>>well as the "license-discuss" list for OSI.
>
> I'm following this, but just to be up front: I'm mostly doing other
> stuff at OSI, now that Luis Villa chairs the license working group.
> Luis is more qualified to handle these issues than I was anyway!  Luis
> is of course also volunteering his time, so this isn't meant as pressure
> on him -- I just wanted to set expectations accurately about where

Yes, I'm the guy on the hook, though for historical questions I'll
probably end up asking Karl, Martin, and John :)

>>1)  Apple Public Source License 1.0 & Apple Public Source License 1.1
>>
>>> Was this ever OSI approved?  Note at top of fedora url says: This
>>> license is non-free. At one point, it could be found at
>>> http://www.opensource.apple.com/apsl/1.0.txt, but that link now
>>> redirects to APSL 2.0. A copy of the license text has been taken
>>> from archive.org's October 01, 2007 revision.

>>>the
>>>new
>>
>>--> do I understand correctly that neither 1.0 nor 1.1 were OSI approved?
>>A little confused by email comments/string, can someone from OSI clarify?

The version released in 1999 (I assume 1.0 but can't verify) was
approved by OSI, not without controversy:

https://lwn.net/1999/0318/a/raymond.html

Unfortunately, as best as I can tell our actual records don't go back
to those older versions (something I'd like to fix) so I can't be
specific. It is likely correct to say that 1.0 and 1.1 were approved.
[If anyone on license-discuss has memories or archives that go back
further, that'd be great.]

> [...]
>>flavor could conceivably happen to other versions, though we hope not.
>>That would also match the proposed SPDX short name.  Thus
>>
>>  Artistic License (Perl) 1.0 // Artistic-Perl-1.0
>>  Artistic License 1.0        // Artistic-1.0
>>
>>Would that work for you?
>>
>>For now I've renamed http://opensource.org/licenses/artistic-license-1.0
>>to opensource.org/licenses/Artistic-1.0, edited it to link correctly to
>>the superseding version (Artistic-2.0), and to link to a new page
>>opensource.org/licenses/Artistic-Perl-1.0.
>>
>>Now, independently of the above, there is a serious bug in the Perl
>>clause, and while I understand why it was OSI-approved, I think the OSI
>>approved its *intended* meaning rather than its textual meaning.
>>
>>This should really be a separate thread, but I want to at least write it
>>down here now, so there's a record of it somewhere:
>>
>>The OSI page above says:
>>
>>  | Some versions of the artistic license contain the following clause:
>>  |   8. Aggregation of this Package with a commercial distribution is
>>  |   always permitted provided that the use of this Package is
>>  |   embedded; that is, when no overt attempt is made to make this
>>  |   Package's interfaces visible to the end user of the commercial
>>  |   distribution. Such use shall not be construed as a distribution of
>>  |   this Package.
>>  | With or without this clause, the license is approved by OSI for
>>  | certifying software as OSI Certified Open Source.
>>
>>That's great, except s/commercial/proprietary/ :-(.  What the text
>>obviously means is "proprietary", and furthermore, if it were to be
>>interpreted literally as "commercial", then it would (to my mind) be
>>clearly not open source.
>>
>>I'm not sure what to do about this now.  I just wanted to mention it.
>>Any review of old licenses, such as you have done, is bound to turn up
>>issues like this.  Thank goodness it's an issue with Artistic-Perl-1.0
>>and not with, say, GPL-2.0 :-).
>>
>>JL/SPDX:
>>in regards to adding a new license/version for Artistic License (Perl) 1.0
>>­ this is a good idea and your naming suggestions are inline with the
>>naming protocol for SPDX, so that's all good. BUT one problemŠ the actual
>>license on the Perl site (http://dev.perl.org/licenses/artistic.html ) is
>>not the same as the one here
>>(http://www.opensource.org/licenses/Artistic-Perl-1.0) --> the OSI perl
>>version is simply the Artistic License 1.0 verbatim with the additional
>>clause.  However, the license on the Perl site has other differences.  I'm
>>attaching a Word document with a merge and compare between the OSI
>>Artistic Perl and the Perl site Artistic Perl licenses
>>
>>--> anyone know what to do about this?  I feel like the one on the Perl
>>site should be captured, but what about the OSI variation?  For the
>>moment, I'm not adding the Artistic Perl license to the SPDX License List
>>until this is sorted out, as I don't want to add one and then have to

Hrm. Can we consult with someone (Daniel German?) to see if the OSI
one is actually used "in the wild"? If it is, then that's a mess, but
if it is not used in the wild, then we can simply switch the OSI one
to match the official one.

>>--> There also appears to be a "Clarified Artistic License" which is
>>different yet again.  That is on the SPDX license list already (and
>>assumed to NOT be OSI approved)

Correct.

>>3) GNU Library General Public License v2
>>
>>>    > Was this ever OSI approved?
>>>
>>>I don't know.  I suspect the answer to that one would not be so hard
>>>to find, but I want to plough to the end of this spreadsheet right now
>>>and get these responses posted.  I did a cursory search on the OSI
>>>site and didn't find any evidence of approval.  Anyone here know about
>>>LGPL-2.0?
>>
>>The differences between 2.0 and 2.1, other than the name (GNU Library
>>vs. Lesser Public License) are entirely editorial.  I can provide a list
>>of them for anyone who wants it.
>>
>>--> so, is that a yes, it's OSI approved?

Yes. [It may not have been formally approved at any point in the past,
but if submitted, it would obviously be approved. I see no downside as
marking it as such.]

>>4) Zlip/libpng license
>>
>>OSI lists the "zlib/libpng" license as OSI approved here -
>>http://www.opensource.org/licenses/Zlib ­ this text is the same as the
>>actual zlib license, see here: http://zlib.net/zlib_license.html.
>> However, the libpng license, while incorporating some of the same text as
>>the zlib license, has a different disclaimer and additional text, see
>>here: http://www.libpng.org/pub/png/src/libpng-LICENSE.txt
>>As a result, SPDX lists these licenses separately, that is: zlib License
>>(OSI approved) http://spdx.org/licenses/Zlib and libpng License (not OSI
>>approved) http://spdx.org/licenses/Libpng
>>Yet, the libpng license text actually states that it is OSI approved.
>>
>>--> so, first question is: was the libpng license (separately or
>>specifically) OSI approved?  If so, can we list it separately?
>>
>>--> Either way, can we name the two licenses to avoid confusion? (see old
>>string re: this naming issue here -
>>http://old.nabble.com/FW%3A--png-mng-implement--zlib-libpng-license-name-td
>>24275146.html)

That thread also explains the history, which is good. It appears that
the libpng license was changed *after* approval and never submitted to
OSI. So I'd say that no, the "new" libpng license with UCITA clause is
not OSI-approved.

>>5) Jabber Open Source License v1.0 ­ when going through the FSF list, we
>>decided to add and in doing so noticed the archived text here
>>(http://archive.jabber.org/core/JOSL.pdf) is not the same as the OSI has
>>on their site (it was OSI approved).  We decided because it's an old
>>license to hold off and not add to list yet - and resolve with OSI (with
>>goal of having on list b/c it was OSI approved and we endeavored to have
>>all OSI licenses on SPDX list, even if old). license text also can be
>>found at: http://code.google.com/p/jabber-net/wiki/FAQ_License
>>
>>--> what to do about this?

Urgh. I'm really not sure; sending this email without resolution on
this point so that the other issues can at least get dealt with.

>>6) missing short identifiers on OSI website or in OSI urls - I have noted
>>some where the url did not have the short identifier in the spreadsheet
>>version of the SPDX-LL, Martin - I can help you with that, if it's not
>>obvious.
>>
>>I'd love to start getting all of these resolved - OSI folks, please let me
>>know what I can do to facilitate, help, etc.!!

If someone can shoot me a list of where the discrepancies are, I can fix them.

Luis