[License-discuss] Open Source Eventually License Development

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Sat Aug 17 17:40:39 UTC 2013

Dear Eben,

You wanted to cut short our conversation, but I believe it is important to
clarify the arguments you made about the enforceability, through specific
performance, of a software license.

It is ironic that you wrote: "Specific performance, a mandatory remedial
order to perform a promise, is not generally available at common law, as
first-year students all learn." You must realize, of course, that the great
(unreasonable) fear of the GPL is that a licensee will be required to
disclose his other software that merely links to the GPL program. How would
this be required if not by an order for specific performance?

To quote your email again: "That's simply bushwah."

I was not referring to specific performance, by the way. I agree with you
that specific performance in the software licensing context is unlikely,
although we hear of it apocryphally when certain GPL advocates threaten to
force proprietary source code disclosure.

Nor was I suggesting that the license convert from "commercial to a specific
licensee" to "free for all." As I said in my previous email, it can convert
to "free for that specific licensee", who is then free under the GPL to
redistribute it to all. That part is truly simple. That's how you designed
the GPL!

It would be better to write an "Open Source Eventually" license that
converts to the GPL after one year as a self-executing, automatic event
certain to occur because the consideration was already paid for it in the
commercial phase of the license. Perhaps you can ask one of your first year
law students to draft such an enforceable agreement? They can do it as a
service to the non-lawyers on this list.

Not that I want to see an "Open Source Eventually" license.... We're
speaking hypothetically here, aren't we?

/Larry