[License-discuss] Organizing the FAQ into categories.
kfogel at red-bean.com
Wed Nov 28 18:45:44 UTC 2012
In another thread, Luis Villa <luis at tieguy.org> wrote:
>[I'd also repeat my call of a few weeks back- if anyone has a few
>hours to try to edit the FAQ into useful categories, let me know.]
Here's a preliminary categorization. I guess license-discuss is
probably the most appropriate place to post this, since much of the FAQ
is about licensing in one way or another.
Any comments welcome. If I hear a lot of +1s, then I'll edit the FAQ
page accordingly. If this gets a lot of comments, then we'll just see
where the thread goes. Here are my proposed top-level categories:
+ Basics of Open Source
+ Distributing and Using Open Source Software
+ Commerce and Open Source
+ Using Our Logo, Linking to Us, Etc
+ Getting Help
And here's the proposed breakdown of FAQ items:
Basics of Open Source
* Can Open Source software be used for commercial purposes?
* Can I restrict how people use an Open Source licensed program?
* Can I stop "evil people" from using my program?
* What is "copyleft"? Is it the same as "open source"?
* What is a "permissive" Open Source license?
* Is <SOME PROGRAM> Open Source?
* Can I call my program "Open Source" even if I don't use an
* Is <SOME LICENSE> an Open Source license, even if it is not listed
on your web site?
* What about software in the "public domain"? Is that Open Source?
* What about the Creative Commons "CC0" ("CC Zero") public domain
dedication? Is that Open Source?
Distributing and Using Open Source Software
* What if I do not want to distribute my program in source code
form? Or what if I don't want to distribute it in either source or
* Which Open Source license should I choose to release my software
* How do I apply <SOME OPEN SOURCE LICENSE> to software I'm
* Can I strip out the copyrights on Open Source code and put in my
* Can I write proprietary code that links to a shared library that's
* I want to publish some code as Open Source code — can I get a
license from you?
* Is <SOME PHP PROGRAM> Open Source simply because it's written in
* What is "distribution"? What does it mean to "distribute" a
program? Is letting people use it on my server the same as
* Someone is violating a copyleft license, for example by refusing
to give me source code when they are required to. What can I do?
Commerce and Open Source
* How do I make money if anybody can sell my code?
* Can I sell Open Source programs? Even if I haven't written it?
* Does Open Source mean anybody else can use my name and logo?
* Why did you approve Microsoft's licenses when they are attacking
Using Our Logo, Linking to Us, Etc
* Can I use your corporate logo (green open keyhole saying "Open
Source") or something very similar (different color / texture /
words) on my product (hat, shirt, web page, etc)?
* How much does it cost for a link on opensource.org to my website?
* Can I use your corporate logo on my web page to link to you?
* Can I link to your site?
* Can I use one of your pages in a document I'm writing?
* Can I ask a legal question here?
* Can you help me find an Open Source programmer or program?
* How do I unsubscribe from one of your mailing lists?
* How can I join an open source project?
* I have a thesis and I'm sending out a survey...
More information about the License-discuss