[License-discuss] objective criteria for license evaluation

Tzeng, Nigel H. Nigel.Tzeng at jhuapl.edu
Tue Nov 13 17:48:05 UTC 2012

Top 10 seems reasonable. If you collapse GPL into 1 category and LGPL into
one then that leaves:

GPL 44%
Apache 13%
MIT 11%
LGPL 9%
BSD 7%
Artistic 6%
EPL 2%
MS-PL 1%
MPL 1%
CDDL <1%

You could do top 9 with a 1% threshold but 10 is a rounder number and
there still are some significant projects/technologies using CDDL
(NetBeans, etc).  To not include MPL in the list would also strike me as
odd given the significance of some of the projects under MPL and the
(IMHO) importance of that license to Open Source in general.

As for C# these days I only loosely follow MonoMac and MonoTouch (mostly
from a lack of desire to learn ObjC) so I'm not the right one to ask.

That MS-PL is used more often than MPL surprises me.  I would not have
guessed that.