[License-discuss] license committee

Smith, McCoy mccoy.smith at intel.com
Fri Mar 9 18:37:06 UTC 2012

FWIW, the report from the committee (which formed in ’04 but didn’t issue a report until ’06) was published here:  http://www.opensource.org/proliferation
AFAIK, that report didn’t result in a significant amount of voluntary deprecation of licenses (at the time, there were only 4 OSI-approved licenses that had been deprecated;  I don’t think many others have since).
I also don’t know if that report had some influence on stemming the tide of new licenses submitted for OSI-approval, but it seems as though fewer have been added to the list since 2006.  Those who have kept closer tabs on the pace of license submission (or voluntary deprecations) might be able to shed more light on both of those issues.
I’m pretty sure there was some degree of dissatisfaction with the output of the ’04 committee and I thought there was going to be a new committee set up to reconsider the output, but perhaps that never happened.
Sorry for the top-posting for those of you who find that confusing.