[License-discuss] [License-review] CC withdrawl of CC0 from OSI process

Chris Travers chris at metatrontech.com
Fri Mar 2 04:32:39 UTC 2012

On Thu, Mar 1, 2012 at 8:06 PM, Bruce Perens <bruce at perens.com> wrote:
> On 03/01/2012 08:02 PM, Chris Travers wrote:
>
>> How do I know if this license applies?
>

> Just assume it does, because you don't really have to decide this question
> to be safe.

I am not at all sure that line works once you get into trying to
bridge GPL'd and proprietary apps, which is an important thing to the
adoption of free/open source software generally, particularly for
larger business systems.

For example, support I have a customer that needs to move data back
and forth between LedgerSMB and, say, Quickbooks or Sage 500.  Does it
matter how I do this?   Is it possible to accidently create a
derivative work in the process?  What do I have to avoid on a
technical level (because I am thinking technically when programming,
not legally) to be sure I am safe?

If I assume the license always applies, and I interpret it as
expansively as possible, such connectors become problematic.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers