[License-discuss] proposal to revise and slightly reorganize the OSI licensing pages

Bruce Perens bruce at perens.com
Wed Jun 6 04:29:27 UTC 2012

Rick,

I suggested that metric to tease Larry. He's been vociferous about the
GPL and its enforcement previously.

You bring up the issue of court tests, though. It's not really the
licenses that need testing, but some of the assumptions upon which they
are built. So, Jacobsen v. Katzer was useful because it establishes that
the Free Software developer has an economic interest and can use the
full gamut of enforcement tools to protect that interest. Not because it
included a court test of the Artistic License Version 1, a license that
we are happily mostly rid of.

Oracle v. Google, if it stands (we have about 2 months to see if Oracle
will really file cert), does two things, I think. It makes it even
clearer that we can re-implement proprietary APIs in Free Software with
impunity, and it makes it even less likely that we can successfully
enforce that run-time combination of works at an "API" boundary creates
a derivative work. We'll take that, we're more interested in freedom
than enforcement.

I completely agree with you that it's silly to litigate with a Free
Software developer. I'll take it farther, though. It's even silly to
litigate with a Free Software developer /when they're wrong./ SFLC has
previously insisted that dynamic-loaded Linux kernel drivers be provided
in source form and under a Free Software license as a step in
compliance. IMO they're on shaky ground with that; but it's easier to
comply, in almost all cases, than to fight. So, I will continue to
advise against proprietary run-time-loadable drivers despite Judge
Alsop's finding on APIs.

     Thanks

     Bruce