[License-discuss] CDDL 1.1 and GPL 2 with CPE

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Thu Feb 2 01:48:26 UTC 2012

Quoting Gervais, Mathieu (Mathieu.Gervais at morganstanley.com):

> > CDDL 1.1 is OSI Certified.
> It's not listed on the website, which I assumed is pretty much the definition of certified.

Yes, apparently the version that's OSI Certified is CDDL 1.0 (which
was a slight modification of MPL 1.1).  I just now read up on the 1.0/1.1
differences.  Offhand, I see nothing that makes CDDL 1.1 fail OSD
compliance, though the new paragraph requiring litigation to be resolved
only in the Federal Courts of the Northern District of California's
Santa Clara County court venue using the laws of the State of California
will probably kill CDDL 1.1's appeal to many.

Basically, that addition turned it into an Oracle licence rather than one
for the world generally.  (Love, Larry E.)

(Not that I have anything against Santa Clara County.  A certain
maternity ward there did well by me, fifty-some years ago.)