[License-discuss] License which requires watermarking? (Attribution Provision)

John Cowan cowan at mercury.ccil.org
Wed Dec 19 05:32:50 UTC 2012

Rick Moen scripsit:

> Clark C. Evans brought that up in February.  Rather than recap the
> entire thing, I'll just repost my reply to him on that point.

You should add this to the KB; I did check there, but with no success.

> http://linuxgazette.net/159/misc/lg/sugarcrm_and_badgeware_licensing_again.html

Offline, alas.

> (What's the difference between 'specified reasonable legal notices or
> author attributions in that material' and required, immutable runtime
> display of trademarked logos and advertising on every user interface
> screen of the program and all derivatives?  Degree, I suspect.  If
> reality is messy and lacks sharp distinctions sometimes, so be it.)

My only point is that lawsuits to determine if some particular behavior
is or is not reasonable are hard to win.

--
Eric Raymond is the Margaret Mead               John Cowan
of the Open Source movement.                    cowan at ccil.org
        --Bruce Perens,                         http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
          some years ago