[License-discuss] Draft of new OSI licenses landing page; please review.

Karl Fogel kfogel at red-bean.com
Wed Apr 4 21:59:01 UTC 2012

"Mike Milinkovich" <mike.milinkovich at eclipse.org> writes:
>So this is where we get to repeat all of the arguments from 4 (5?) years ago
>about how those licenses are generally useful, are backed by large
>communities, not tied to a particular community any more than (say) the
>Apache license, and support perfectly legitimate open source business
>models. There are lots of projects outside of the Eclipse and Mozilla
>foundations that use our respective licenses.

Ah.  That last sentence is the fact that I needed to know, thanks.

Mike, I think you're assuming I made assertions in my draft page, when
really then entire thing is *questions*.  There's not any repeating of
arguments needed.  Heck, you can just log in and modify the page if you
want (just create Drupal revisions, so we have an audit trail).

Our current by-category page does not quite show newcomers what they
need to see.  But maybe the proposed new licenses page (the draft of
which we're reviewing now) should look a lot more like the current
by-category page does, just with some tweaks and a different URL.  I
don't know.  That would be a perfectly reasonable outcome, though.

Today is not five years ago.  We can do this.  (I think :-) .)

-K