ICC profiles and open licensing

Kai-Uwe Behrmann ku.b at gmx.de
Thu May 5 13:21:04 UTC 2011

Hello,

Am 09.07.10, 11:25 -0700 schrieb Chuck Swiger:
> Hi--
>
> On Jul 9, 2010, at 5:49 AM, Kai-Uwe Behrmann wrote:
>> Would following license satisfy the OSI definition in order to accept ICC profile bundles for any open source OS distribution (?):
>>
>> "This profile is made available by [profile provider], with permission of
>> [profile vendor], and may be used, embedded, exchanged, and shared without
>> restriction. Altered versions of this profile shall have the original
>> identification and copyright information removed and shall not be
>> misrepresented as the original profile."
>>
>> Note the last sentence was altered to satisfy http://www.opensource.org/docs/osd
>> 6. No Discrimination Against Fields of Endeavor
>
> It's perfectly fine to require that modified versions be clearly identified as such and not mis-represented as the unchanged original work.
>
> I would be concerned about the requirement to remove the original copyright information entirely, however-- that's not something people normally should do with copyrighted works, although if someone has been granted permission to do so by the copyright holder, I gather that would be OK...?

In which regard might that be a concern?
I understand that the license clearly wants to remove any prominent
reference to the original author to protect the authors name from getting
affacted by crippled versions. For better understanding, the copyright tag
in a ICC profile is most often very publically shown.

So if someone alters the profile, it appears clear to me that the old
copyright tag must be removed and the profile can be redistributed in any
way including under GPL, just without refering to the originial author.
The above license is very permissive and relicencing should be no problem.

Does this make sense to you?

kind regards
Kai-Uwe Behrmann
--