GNU GPL can't force payment?

Cinly Ooi cooi at theiet.org
Wed Dec 15 15:31:51 UTC 2010

Dear Nigel,

Seems to me that advising using CC BY-NC-SA for ease of understanding and
> commonality is the best course even if it isn’t a “real” software license.
>  Whatever is chosen it still has to clear legal and usually the university
> office of tech transfer but it’s helpful to be able to make the case that
> license commonality is a desired outcome whatever gets chosen.

Licensing is a minefield. You have this lethal mix of Research Grant
requirement, university licensing policy, researchers' interest, research
ethics controls, legalese writing, data protection and privacy, and changing
policies with time that is all but impossible to navigate.

Truth is, which ever standard license they choose, even with CC BY-NC-SA,
they still will want to stamp a 'research community only' clause on it. That
is what they are used to and it conveys what they intent to do.

Best Regards,
Cinly