GPLv3's secretive Additional Terms

Chris Travers chris at metatrontech.com
Thu Apr 22 17:19:56 UTC 2010

I guess what I am arguing for is an interpretation of the GPL v3 which
looks to the license, plus the following for determining what a
"reasonable legal notice" is for 7b:

1)  Substantive interests in license compliance on the part of the
copyright owners
2)  Operational realities of distribution

This would allow reasonable legal notices to be used to effect
non-removable license grants (absent changes which address #2 above)
for specific copyrighted portions, for example:

"Copyright (C) 2010 Chris Travers.  Licensed under the GNU General
Public License (GPL) version 3 or, at your option any later version,
with the additional permission granted to link, via this file, to
OpenSSL, and the additional restriction to reproduce this copyright
and permission notice in any subsequent version of the file."

Of someone ported from OpenSSL to GNUTLS, they could add something like:

"Copyright (C) 2015 Foo Barker.  Licensed under the GNU General Public
License (GPL) version 3 or, at your option any later version.  Based
on work by Chris Travers.  Original copyright notice below.  Note that
there is no additional permission granted to link to OpenSSL on this
combined work."

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers