GPLv3's secretive Additional Terms

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Thu Apr 22 17:16:57 UTC 2010

Chris Travers scripsit:

> The question is, can I take, say, FreeBSD, distribute it verbatim
> except for changing the license to the GPL v3?  I don't think so.

In the general case, no, as I posted before.  But if the license *allows*
you to change the license in a particular way, as the GPLv3 does, then
I think you can change it even on a verbatim copy.

There is also the FSF-blessed approach of adding a trivial hello-world
routine, which creates a technical derivative work.

--
He made the Legislature meet at one-horse       John Cowan
tank-towns out in the alfalfa belt, so that     cowan at ccil.org
hardly nobody could get there and most of       http://www.ccil.org/~cowan
the leaders would stay home and let him go      --H.L. Mencken's
to work and do things as he pleased.              Declaration of Independence