Viral permissiveness

dtemeles at nvalaw.com dtemeles at nvalaw.com
Mon Jan 26 06:27:22 UTC 2009

Good morning John,

I assume that what you are saying is that a non-exclusive licensee of
an original work that creates a derivative work can sue for
infringement of the original work to the extent it is included in the
derivative work.

Do you have any support for your assertion?  I suggest that you cannot
find any credible legal support for your position.

17 U.S.C. § 103(b) provides:

The copyright in a compilation or derivative work extends only to the
material contributed by the author of such work, as distinguished from
the preexisting material employed in the work, and does not imply any
exclusive right in the preexisting material. The copyright in such
work is independent of, and does not affect or enlarge the scope,
duration, ownership, or subsistence of, any copyright protection in
the preexisting material.

I think an extreme example might highlight why your assertion cannot
be true.  Suppose that Pixar grants to me a non-exclusive license to
make a derivative work of one of their films.  I create and then
release a derivative that adds a 20 minute prequel and a 20 minute
scene in the middle of the movie to enhance a story line in the
prequel.  I register the copyright on the derivative movie (which by
law only covers the original material I added to the movie). A
third-party obtains a copy of the derivative work from me, lops off
the prequel and the 20 minute scene that I added and then sells a
million copies of the movie (which is simply the original movie).  I
then bring suit for copyright infringement in Federal Court... do you
really think that I would be entitled to recover a dime for the
infringer's copying and sale of the Pixar film simply because the
infringer obtained the movie from me, a non-exclusive licensee?  No
chance.