change cakephp MIT license to GPL?

John Cowan cowan at ccil.org
Sat Oct 25 21:32:13 UTC 2008

pepejose scripsit:

> ** Cakephp 1.2 RC3 -> MIT
> ** My code (views, controllers, models etc) -> GPL?
> ** Some code with LGPL (tcpdf, for example TinyMCE)
>
> then, which is the best way to publish the application in one package?
>
> diferent licenses?
>
> On the one hand I read that MIT, GPL and LGPL are compatible but on the
> other that if I use GPL code in part forces me to use GPL code in all code
> ... on the other side as section 3 of the LGPL can convert to LPG but i dont
> know not changes that I have to do exactly

It is not true that if any code is under the GPL, all code must be.  What is true
is that all code must be under a license that does not contradict the GPL, and that
the work as a whole be distributed under the GPL.  The MIT and LGPL licenses do not
contradict the GPL, so you can distribute your code under the GPL and the whole
package under the GPL while leaving the licenses on the other code unchanged.
It is not recommended to attempt to change the license on code you did not write,
anyway.  Sometimes you cannot and in any case you should not.

--
John Cowan   cowan at ccil.org    http://ccil.org/~cowan
The known is finite, the unknown infinite; intellectually we stand