Use of "open source" in website name

Cinly Ooi cinly.ooi at gmail.com
Fri Jun 13 12:49:49 UTC 2008

My reply here is definitely off-topic and I believe in keeping this mailing
list on topic so while I will read what other has to say about my comments
below, I will not post reply to any of the comments to the mailing list.

I think the US way of protecting "appellation of origin" is more sensible,
i.e., you cannot create new one that infringe on it, but it tolerate old
ones, especially those that which bleeds into the common vocabulary and has
lose its original meaning. May be since I am from South East Asia and that
influence me in the sense that I myself would not normally assume Feta is
from Greece, Champagne is from French region of Champagne. I would have to
find the words "Made in Greece" or "from the champagne region of France"
before my sense of "appellation of origin" kicks in. To me, "Parmesan
'style' cheese" on labels are simply there to waste ink. If one wants to be
so particular then all our "Singapore Fried Noodles" or "Peking Duck" in
Chinese Restaurant over in UK must be changed to "Singapore style noodles"
and "Peking style duck" since we are 99% certain that nothing in the dish
came from Singapore or Beijing, and that includes the chef.

However, I acknowledge that different cultures may have different ways of
interpreting the word Champagne or Feta. What I do not think is that local
culsture should not be exported throughout the world using WIPO or other
organization. My rule of thumb for "trade marks"/"appellation of origin" and
other non-time limited Intellectual Property is as long as there is no
confusion in the target population, there is no problem.

Best Regards,
Cinly

Best Regards,
Cinly