Question about a license

Ben Tilly btilly at gmail.com
Tue Jun 3 20:45:17 UTC 2008

2008/6/1 Диян Минчев <cygnusx at abv.bg>:
>  Let's say i'm writing open source application and want to restrict other
> people to distribute the application if they have made some changes to it.I
> mean i want to allow people to make changes but only for their own use.I've
> searched for such license but didn't find any.Like i said i don't want to
> restrict further distribution of my application,i only want to restrict
> distribution if the user that use it make some changes,i mean adding some
> features that he/she needs,remove features or change already existing
> features...That's it.Can you help me with this?

No, you aren't writing an open source application.  You are writing a
closed source application and trying to call it open source.  Please
don't do that.  Go ahead, write the application and get a lawyer to
write the license you want.  But it doesn't meet the open source
definition, and any indication otherwise on your part is false
marketing.

Ben