Convert GPL to MPL

Chuck Swiger chuck at codefab.com
Fri Jan 18 20:22:51 UTC 2008

On Jan 18, 2008, at 11:55 AM, Alexander Terekhov wrote:
> On Jan 18, 2008 7:47 PM, Chuck Swiger <chuck at codefab.com> wrote:
> [...]
>> You're not allowed to change the license of a GPL'ed work.  However,
>> you don't have to change the GPL at all if you simply want to charge
>> money for the software-- see RedHat and other Linux distributions--
>> "You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy,
>> and
>> you may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange for a
>> fee."
>
> I don't think that Red Hat charges "a fee for the physical act of
> transferring
> a copy" and/or offers "warranty protection in exchange for a fee."
>
> http://ccbn.10kwizard.com/xml/download.php?repo=tenk&ipage=5210480&format=PDF

The section you'd quoted from page 31 doesn't seem particularly
relevant to why or for what RedHat is charging their subscription
fees.  However, earlier in the document, the section on page 6 titled
"Subscription Revenue" states: "The base subscription generally
entitles the end user to the technology itself and post contract
customer support (PCS)...."

RedHat is selling software (much of which is GPLed, some of which is
under Zlib/MIT/BSL licenses, and other bits are proprietary to them,
or so I understand) along with providing technical support.

--
-Chuck