Convert GPL to MPL

Alexander Terekhov alexander.terekhov at gmail.com
Fri Jan 18 19:55:57 UTC 2008

On Jan 18, 2008 7:47 PM, Chuck Swiger <chuck at codefab.com> wrote:
[...]
> You're not allowed to change the license of a GPL'ed work.  However,
> you don't have to change the GPL at all if you simply want to charge
> money for the software-- see RedHat and other Linux distributions--
> "You may charge a fee for the physical act of transferring a copy, and
> you may at your option offer warranty protection in exchange for a fee."

I don't think that Red Hat charges "a fee for the physical act of transferring
a copy" and/or offers "warranty protection in exchange for a fee."

http://ccbn.10kwizard.com/xml/download.php?repo=tenk&ipage=5210480&format=PDF

------
The subscription agreement used for many of our products, including
Red Hat Enterprise Linux, requires customers to agree to a
subscription for our services for each installed system on which they
deploy our subscription based products. At the same time, the
subscription agreement places no restriction on the customer's right
to redistribute the products. While we believe this practice complies
with the requirements of the GNU General Public License, and while we
have reviewed this practice with the Free Software Foundation, the
organization that maintains and provides interpretations of the GNU
General Public License, we may still encounter customer resistance to
this distribution model.
------

See also:

http://blogs.smugmug.com/don/2007/03/23/the-enterprise-linux-problem/

(Kind of interesting reading regarding Red Hat's distribution model. ;-) )

regards,
alexander.