OSI enforcement? (Was Re: Microsoft use of the term "Open Source")

Arnoud Engelfriet arnoud at engelfriet.net
Sat Jan 5 09:48:00 UTC 2008

Matthew Flaschen wrote:
> OSI has never "compelled" anyone.  What they have done, and must
> continue to do is:
>
> a. Be very clear about what is and isn't open source.
> b. Tell people to describe software as open source only when it actually is.
> c. Ask people to speak up loudly when software is described incorrectly
> as open source.

Which immediately suggests to me that OSI should re-apply for
a registered trademark on "open source", as this kind of activity
may well have established secondary meaning for this otherwise
descriptive term.

http://www.bitlaw.com/trademark/degrees.html#descriptive

Arnoud

--
Arnoud Engelfriet, Dutch & European patent attorney - Speaking only for myself
              Arnoud blogt nu ook: http://blog.iusmentis.com/