OSI enforcement? (Was Re: Microsoft use of the term "Open Source")

Matthew Flaschen matthew.flaschen at gatech.edu
Sat Jan 5 00:02:50 UTC 2008

zooko wrote:
> On Jan 1, 2008, at 10:49 AM, B Galliart wrote:
>
>> As much as Chris Travers' line of reasoning bothers me, I don't think
>> it is a sign that he is either a complete or even mostly a moron.  I
>> recommend that the OSI still takes what he says as representative of
>> what others may think.
>
> Please don't shoot the messenger (me), but the message that I've heard
> is that OSI has no power to compel people to stop misusing the term
> "open source".

OSI has never "compelled" anyone.  What they have done, and must
continue to do is:

a. Be very clear about what is and isn't open source.
b. Tell people to describe software as open source only when it actually is.
c. Ask people to speak up loudly when software is described incorrectly
as open source.

Matt Flaschen