Looking for BSD-style license with "modified" clause

Chuck Swiger chuck at codefab.com
Mon Dec 8 20:12:34 UTC 2008

Hi, all--

On Dec 8, 2008, at 12:05 PM, Jeremiah Martell wrote:
> I'm going to start releasing some code I wrote, and I was going to
> release it in the 3-clause BSD license.
>
> However, I would like to have a clause that stated if anybody modified
> my code and released it, they have to say "modified version of XYZ" or
> something.

You can either start with the 3-clause BSD license or MIT license and
add something like this from the OSL:

"6) Attribution Rights. You must retain, in the Source Code of any
Derivative Works that You create, all copyright, patent, or trademark
notices from the Source Code of the Original Work, as well as any
notices of licensing and any descriptive text identified therein as an
"Attribution Notice." You must cause the Source Code for any
Derivative Works that You create to carry a prominent Attribution
Notice reasonably calculated to inform recipients that You have
modified the Original Work."

...or you might use the OSL directly if you are happy with its
intent.  It's not commonly used as a license, but the OSL(v3) is well-
crafted and might suit you better.  Other people might prefer the GNU
LGPL or even plain GPL, as they also require modified versions to be
prominently renamed and documented.

Regards,
--
-Chuck