"Free Distribution" question

Dave Tenny dave.tenny at gmail.com
Sun Aug 17 18:37:27 UTC 2008

In looking at the Open Source Definition at
http://www.opensource.org/docs/osd/
I was curious about the first clause on free redistribuion.

The license shall not restrict any party from selling or giving away the
> software as a component of an aggregate software distribution containing
> programs from several different sources. The license shall not require a
> royalty or other fee for such sale.

I want a license that permits free redistribution and nominal fees to cover
redistirbution costs,
but NOT redistribution FOR PROFIT.

In my particular case, distributions of the software in any form for profit
would require a license with my company.

Can an OSI approved license work for me?

I suppose some clarification of "for profit" would be required.
If someone is redistributing a aggregate of some form that included my
software,
for profit, that's okay, as they could remove my software without altering
their "for profit" value proposition.  If the latter wasn't true, they'd
need to execute
a license with my company, i.e. if they are trying to be some value added
reseller
of my software.

Advice welcome on how I might open source my wares and obtain this
restriction on the use of the software.

People can use, modify, and restribute the software  for its intended
purpose
for free, but if people want to profit from it, my company wants a cut.

Thanks,

Dave Tenny