Creative Commons

Somik Raha somik.raha at gmail.com
Mon Aug 4 21:29:16 UTC 2008

Hi,

I am working on an initiative to create a non-profit organization for the
Decision Analysis community. One of the sections on our portal will hold
software contributions. I am thinking that we want to insist on
OSI-compliance.

However, some contributions will be in the form of powerpoint templates, and
the Create Commons Attribution license seems to be simple enough to allow
for commercial and non-commercial usage, while keeping it open. AFAIK, not
all CC licenses are OSI-compliant, and I could not find any CC licenses on
the OSI list that have been approved. Interestingly enough, OSI's homepage
uses a CC license.

I would appreciate guidance on using CC licenses for powerpoint templates.
If you think another OSI-compliant license is better suited, I'd be grateful
for the suggestion. I am interested in any license that has the spirit of
the CPL, allowing organizations to use the licensed product commercially. I
would have loved to use the CPL, but is it a stretch to use the analogy of
source code = powerpoint file, and object code = pdf file, thus requiring
contributors to make sure they submit powerpoint and not pdf of their
presentation templates?

Finally, if I wanted to use the CC licenses for software, wouldn't the CC
Attribution-XX-Share Alike license be OSI-compliant? Has anyone heard of
software under an exclusive CC license?

Thank you so much.

Regards,
Somik