Implications for switching licenses mid-stream

Chris Zumbrunn chris at czv.com
Thu Apr 24 10:37:51 UTC 2008

On Apr 24, 2008, at 10:39 , Rick Moen wrote:

> Quoting Chris Zumbrunn (chris at czv.com):
>
>> Right, which is why I wrote that if the project leader doesn't cause
>> injury to contributors, he could get away with switching between
>> permissive licenses. But that doesn't mean he actually has the legal
>> right to relicense.
>
> Actually, yes, it does.  What do you think "absence of a tort" means?
>
> (I'm not sure I want to know what you believe on that point, honestly.
> However, I think the point is reasonably clear.)

In this context, the "absence of a tort" means that the project leader
isn't causing injury to the contributor. If you read more into it than
that, then I believe we do indeed disagree.

In the absense of injury, the contributor has no grounds to sue. But
the project leader would be on thin ice.

Chris