Implications for switching licenses mid-stream

Jon Lesser jonlesser at gmail.com
Tue Apr 22 05:20:22 UTC 2008

I am working on an open-source web application that has been licensed,
since it's inception, under license X. Now we're looking at switching
to license Y.

Many people have already downloaded our software with license X. Can
those people continue to use what they've downloaded under the terms
of X even after we change the license to Y?

The X and Y cases I'm particularly interested in are X=BSD, Y=GPLv3
and X=GPLv2, Y=GPLv3.

-Jon