For Approval: Microsoft Permissive License

Chris Travers chris.travers at gmail.com
Wed Sep 26 04:30:23 UTC 2007

On 9/25/07, Zac Bowling <zac at zacbowling.com> wrote:

> Can't forget the patent license and revocation related text in Ms-PL.
> That is some what novel as well.
>
> In the end, license proliferation sucks but it seems that there are to
> many forces at play to successfully stop it.
>
> Oh well. We can just hire more lawyers to sort it all out. Not a big
> deal. We can afford them with all the money we make on developing all
> this wonderful F/OSS code.

Actually, I think we need a different structure to deal with license
proliferation and approval.  I have already made my suggestions elsewhere
but to summarize, I think we need to have a separate approval track for
license variations.  This way every time someone wants to solve a legal
concern, we don't have to ask about license proliferation, but we aren't
cluttered with 100000 separate license listings either.

Best Wishes,
Chris Travers