OSI Approval process

Rick Moen rick at linuxmafia.com
Mon Sep 17 20:05:59 UTC 2007

Quoting Chuck Swiger (chuck at codefab.com):

> I think that people who make trivial changes to code under any given
> license should choose to release those changes under the same terms
> of the original license.
>
> However, if people make significant changes to code and wish to
> release the derivative work under another compatible license (as is
> the case with some of the so-called "GPL'ing of BSD-licensed code"),
> well, the BSD projects can live with that just as we live with people
> using BSD code in wholly proprietary projects, but it's not a
> preferred situation.

This is as good a place as any to say that I agree with Jon Corbet's
take on the ath5k (effective) fork with GPLv2 code:  lawful, but
somewhat less than neighbourly.  (See:  http://lwn.net/Articles/247872/)

FWIW, if I'd been consulted, I'd have said "Please don't do that.  It's
rude."

--
Cheers,                     Peter G. Neumann:  "Mars has been a tough target."
Rick Moen                   Harlan Rosenthal:  "That's because the Martians keep