OSI Approval process

Lawrence Rosen lrosen at rosenlaw.com
Mon Sep 17 18:43:26 UTC 2007

Daniel,

Take a look at Academic Free License (AFL 3.0,
http://opensource.org/licenses/afl-3.0.php). It is already OSI-approved, and
already does what I think you want to do, clearly and without ambiguity.

AFL 3.0 is a permissive companion to the reciprocal (copyleft) Open Software
License (OSL 3.0) and Non-Profit OSL 3.0.

I agree with you that the old BSD license is not clear enough. But I don't
understand why people and companies keep submitting permissive licenses to
OSI when there are several licenses, including the generic and tested AFL
3.0, already OSI-approved, that do the job. Whatever else you do with your
life, don't waste it writing yet another permissive license.

/Larry

Lawrence Rosen

3001 King Ranch Road, Ukiah, CA 95482

707-485-1242 * cell: 707-478-8932 * fax: 707-485-1243

Skype: LawrenceRosen

Author of "Open Source Licensing: Software Freedom and

                Intellectual Property Law" (Prentice Hall 2004)

  _____